Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Tinsel isn't only for the holidays

When I think tinsel, I think Christmas trees. Decorated in red, gold, and green tinsel. Tinsel strung up and down the stairways, and hung over doors.
Of late, I have been seeing it every one's hair. At least around campus there are numerous people with these strands of shiny string in their hair. Previous to this, I had thought this was only worn in little girls.
This is called Hair Tinsel or Hair Bling.
While I haven't yet decided whether I like it or not, these are definitely a cute trend to try in your hair.
I think my favorite that I have seen are the silver and gold ones. The color ones sometimes look like you just have something stuck in your hair, while the silver and gold ones just blend in, I think.
From what I have read this is fairly easy to put in your self. You just tie the strand to a stand of your own hair. There are a multitude of Youtube videos and how-to guides. I'm also relatively sure Conair makes some kind of tool for putting these in your hair, but don't quote me on that.
I definitely think these are a cute fun thing to try, although definitely don't go overboard. I think my favorite ones I have seen are the ones where they only have one or two in.
I'm decently sure that this is a confusing trend for some people. I don't really see the point in them, and sometimes I feel like they are a bit juvenile. But I could understand wearing them also.

Story time: I was in class the other day, and the girl sitting in front of me has had a pink one in her hair for months. She was flirting with some guy next to her, joking around. And he stops and goes "Hey, you have something in your hair." He reaches for the tinsel strand and begins to pull it as she swats his hand away and tries to explain to him that it was attached to her hair. He seemed extremely confused by whatever she had in her hair.

After that story, I'm not sure I want to put those in my hair. Changing and alternating the colors reminds me of having braces, and how you would change the color of your bands according to the holidays. Red and green for Christmas, black and orange for Halloween, I know you remember.

Just don't go crazy, and I think you'll be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment