Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Trend to try (and love!): Sequins

I can't even begin to explain to you how obsessed I am with sequins. While they have yet to infiltrate my closet, if I had millions to drop on clothes, you can bet an entire section would be dedicated to these sparkling babies.
As with everything, these are only to be worn in moderation.
A piece here and a piece there.
Or you can go all out and wear an entire sequin body suit.
If you do, send me a picture because that would be hilarious.
My most favorite pieces of sequin clothing I have seen would definitely be sequin leggings. They are adorable, and add the right amount of glitz to any outfit.
They definitely add a dramatic flair to your wardrobe. Just be careful, because they are so reflective, they do make you look larger than you really are. One of the cons of shiny pieces of clothing. Definitely wear it with a simple shirt, very very few details. I think these would be so cute with beige closed-toe shoes, a flowy white shirt, and a cropped blazer. That's just me though.

Another piece of sequin clothing to add to your wardrobe would have to be a sequin blazer. This should definitely only be worn when going out at night, or to work if you're allowed. It definitely projects a professional image, while also making your outfit seem fun. I haven't found one that I love yet, but the only place I have seen something like this is the Victoria's Secret catalog.
Once again, whatever you wear underneath needs to be uber-simple. I love it with a black dress, or any other colored solid dress for that matter. Love. I also think that sequins are awesome holiday wear. For all the family parties that will begin at the end of this month and continue through January, a sequin blazer is classy enough to wear to your boyfriends family holidays, and you will also shine at your grandma's holiday dinner.

Lastly, the most common piece of sequin clothing I have seen is a sequin slip. Every time I have visited Nordstrom Rack, I have seen one. And wanted one. I never actually gave in to buying one because I had no idea what to wear it with. This is definitely the most casual an understated sequin piece I would recommend. I'm sure it would look killer over jeans and under a leather jacket. The brand Free People has them in a multitude of colors.

So just remember, only one piece of sequins at a time unless you are trying to resemble a disco ball. I dare you to try it, I promise you will receive at least a few compliments and envious stares.

No comments:

Post a Comment