Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tighten Up

A necessity to any closet. And a cheap necessity at that. Tights might quite possibly be my favorite thing invented. And I say that about a lot of things. But this time I really mean it.
They have a million names: tights, stockings, hosiery, and sometimes they can be mistaken for leggings. Which they're not. But we'll get to that later. Whichever you would like to call them, you should definitely wear them. And patterned ones are ones of the best ways to dress up a boring outfit. Heck, you can even wear them with shorts. But only under certain conditions with certain outfits.
But first some fun tights that I love but you can only get them in stylish places like New York and Paris. </3




Maybe one day...

Anyways, even if you think these are a bit crazy you should still buy some tights. Black ones are the easiest because you can wear them with everything. However there are two different kinds: opaque and normal. 

Opaque tights are more sheer and should never be worn under shorts. Regular ones are a bit more durable, and you can't see your legs quite as well through them. They are super cute under shorts with boots or heels with a big sweater. 

They also have sweater tights, which are amazing in the winter to say the least. The name is literally what you are getting, sweaters for your legs. I have also found that Target makes  fleece-lined tights. Other retailers probably manufacture these as well, but I have only notice them at Target. These are also amazing when winter rolls around. Nothing gets through these babies. I even wear them under jeans when it is freezing out.
Colored tight have also been very popular. These neon colors definitely draw the attention to your legs. Just be careful, bright colors make your body appear larger, so if you're not comfortable with that then I wouldn't recommend buying these. If you do decide to go for it, make sure you pair them with mostly neutral colors, but instead of just black try beige or gray. 

I'm  not a huge fan of fishnets unless it's Halloween. I'll leave that to the steam-punk princesses. They definitely can be worn, just with the right outfits. I don't really want to recommend one because I would hate to send you in the wrong direction.

Nude stockings are cute if you need to wear them to work, and also you can hide your un-shaved legs. Just make sure you match your skin tone accordingly.

Spanx are also very popular, they help you if you're not super confident in your hips, stomach or thighs. They give you a slimmer looking figure without having to wear a girdle.

I blew through that. My crash-course on tights, and why you should own at least two or three pairs. If you're looking for a super good deal on tights, I have always found the best ones at Ross or Marshalls. They have patterned, black, and sweater tights. No reason to stress about the price.
Don't be afraid to be creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment