Friday, October 29, 2010

Extending the Un-Extendable

I have the thinnest, finest baby hair. As a result of having hair so thin, it rarely grows. Instead it just gets to a certain point and breaks off. For a long time, I thought it easier just to keep it short. But keeping it short gets so boring that lately I have been trying to grow it out. Keep your fingers crossed for me, maybe I can make it past my shoulders this time.
Anyways, there are many of you with hair like me. There are many of you with more money than me also, so you have the option of hair extensions. I've seen the good, and I have seen the bad. There are some you go to the salon to have glued to your hair. There are some they heat-bond in. I'm sure there are others. The most common though, are the clip-in extensions. Putting in your own extensions everyday is an art. An art that should be practiced and repeated before actually introducing your hair art to the world.
I feel the the accessibility of hair extensions has been increased as they have gotten cheaper and can be easily acquired at Sally's Beauty Supply. Which then results in everyone with money able to get a pair and clip them in. Which then results in this:
I just don't understand who would let her out of the house like this. Her extensions are so obvious they're deciding whether or not they should just consume her whole head and become a wig. It's ridiculous.
I have seen some awful look hair extensions of late, and I would never have the heart to point out to the owner how terrible they look, because they have friends for that.
One of the worst things people do with extensions is rat the top of their hair super big, then clip in their extensions underneath. Therefore, giving the illusion of two layers of hair. A poofy one on top and a flat one on bottom. They also seem to think by pulling their hair over their shoulder, they can somehow trick people into thinking it's their real hair. Don't do this. I understand some normal volume on top, but you shouldn't be able to tell that your hair stops at your chin and then you have some kind of tentacles hanging over your shoulders.
Another heinous hair offense is clipping two single extensions into your ponytail. The particular person I saw wearing this had very short hair. Her ponytail was maybe two inches long, and then for another 10 inches was two strands of hair. How did no one tell her?! Many girls can make their extensions look like they are a part of their natural ponytail, however you definitely have to use more than two. I would also recommend that when you have hair that short, just get the clip in ponytail extensions that go over your normal ponytail. Because any ponytail you pull your hair into when it is that short, usually just sticks straight out off the back of your head. In turn, making your extensions even more glaringly obvious.
Another terrible thing you can see when girls wear extensions, is when they don't cover their roots sufficiently, so you see exactly where the hair clips in.
Don't wear them if you can't cover them up. Awful hair extensions are such a pet peeve of mine, mostly because I'm embarrassed for the person wearing them. I would absolutely tell my close friends if their hair looked ridiculous. I would hope they would tell me if I ever decided to wear extensions.
I'm not saying you shouldn't wear them, I think they're awesome. And when worn correctly no one can tell the difference between your real hair and the fake hair.
Just please wear carefully, and ask for honest opinions before you go out, or you will be the butt of someones joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment