Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Invest in: Motorcycle Boots

I know all my most recent posts have been about shoes. I apologize, but I have just seen so many heinous shoe crimes lately that I feel the need to comment.

Since it's been raining here all day, I would like to dedicate this post to rain boots. Or pseudo-rain boots also known as motorcycle boots.
While these Juicy Couture rain boots are to die for. I generally think that rain boots are hideous.
They are literally unflattering on everyone. Unless you're a model splashing around in puddles for a photo-op, I don't think they should be worn.
Even if you match your outfit to your rain boots, they still aren't cute.
i.e. girl this morning wearing bright yellow rain boots, unflattering jeans, a yellow undershirt and polka dot sweatshirt. Still doesn't work.
I assume that people wear rain boots to keep their feet dry, and they feel there is no alternative.
There is!

not rain boots

I started seeing motorcycle boots last spring, and they have definitely continued into the fall, and I guarantee they will still be worn into next spring if not next fall as well.
Alternative to rain boots = Leather Motorcycle Boots
They are completely water repellent. I swear, I have trudged through puddles wearing them. They are super cute and fashionable, especially in you find ones that go to your knee or over the knee. I would also like to note, that unlike rain boots which have a lot of space around your calves to let the water fall in when its pouring, these normally hug your legs, thus keeping all water out.
I hate to admit it, but I doubt you will find a durable pair for less than $50 dollars. 
While I know you think that it would just be cheaper to go out to Target and pick up a pair of striped rain boots. Please, don't. You will look like a duck waddling around all day, and trust me I have seen quite a few ducks today. Plus rain boots aren't even comfortable on your feet, no matter how many pairs of socks you wear.

Leather boots can literally be worn with anything, rain or shine. So they wont just get you through those cloudy days, they will also keep you looking kick-ass in a sundress during spring, or out at night paired with a dark denim skinny pants.
I can't stress enough how much I love boots like this. The ones above were recently purchased by room mate for around $50 dollars. The pair I own go over the knee, and I bought them for about $50 dollars as well. I have gotten so much use out of my boots, and so many compliments. They were definitely worth it.

Now, I would also like to comment on leather boots with heels. I have nothing against them, and I think when worn with the right outfits they are adorable. These work just as well against rain, however if you're going to be doing a lot of walking then boots without heels are comfier. Obviously.
Now places they can be found is a bit trickier. I found the pair I own at Nordstrom Rack (my favorite place in the world), I know Charlotte Russe has some out on display although I'm not sure what they cost. Department stores will definitely have them, but I doubt you will find them for any less than $75 dollars. These are just one of those things you have to look around for. They come in all different lengths, heights, and shoe styles so look for some that will fit nicely into your wardrobe. I wouldn't recommend trying something out of your comfort zone style-wise when buying these boots, because these are wardrobe staple that you will want to have for years to come!

1 comment:

  1. Pretty boots ;)
    i have a question, do you know if they can really keep feet dry in an ankle deep water, like rain boots ??
    what is the deepest puddle that you can go ?

    ReplyDelete