Friday, October 22, 2010

Petite, Curvy, Curvy Hips, Full Bust, Tall:


I was browsing through Seventeen magazine, looking for the article "              for every body type!"
Fill in the blank with: jeans, coats, sweaters, pants, shoes, hair accessories, you get the point.
They have at least one of these articles in every one of their magazines, and I always wonder how they can find something for every body type.
Then I decided to pay attention
The categories are divided into: Petite, Curvy, Curvy Hips, Full Bust, Tall
And as you read the comments for why you should wear this, you realize that this actually means:
Short (and probably heavy), Heavy set, Big Ass-No Boobs, Big Boobs-No Ass, and Amazonian with no curves whatsoever.
I do understand that they are trying to cover the basic body shapes, which are: Hourglass, Triangle, Upside down triangle, and rectangular. But those aren't remotely the same thing.
I feel like this is misleading, trying to say they have clothes for every body type.
And while if you're short with  a full bust you can look at both of them, that's not true. Because they give you comments in the side and some of the conflict with each other.
Maybe, because I'm short, I don't want to wear vertical stripes to make me look taller. Or if I have a full bust, maybe I don't want to wear a halter top.  If I have "curvy hips" I don't want to have to wear a straight leg pant. Because I don't even know if I have curvy hips!
Women are delusional about their body shapes anyways, and it's not like Seventeen gives you a guide on how to tell what you are. I want to be "full bust", so maybe I will try to wear some from that section. That doesn't mean I'm actually "full bust". How big do your boobs actually have to be to be classified as "full bust?"
Its asinine.
I just think that if they advertise it in that way, then they should really have clothes for every body type!
I would like to point out that this is probably a result of the male-run media. I'm not trying to go off onto some feminist rant, but if it really was all women creating a publishing this, I doubt they would choose body types like that.
Instead, these are the classifications that guys put women in, right?

Yeah, exactly.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sexy Lexi, just read most of your blog. It's a lot better than my friend majoring in journalism could write, but shhh. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete