Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Not a fan-equin of the mannequin

Let's not point out how not funny my cheesy headline for this post is. It gets the job done, and my point across.
mannequins
If you haven't guessed yet, I'm going to write about puppies eating flowers with babies.
Kidding.
Although, those are all very cute things that would have very cute pictures next to them.
I'm just going to throw this out there: Stop dressing like Forever 21 mannequins. Or any other mannequins for that matter. I say Forever 21, just because that is what I have had personal experience in seeing. I'm sure there are mannequin impostors from a variety of other stores.

Now it is true that it is someones job to come in and style all the mannequins. The reason this is done is to give buyers some ideas on how they can put certain pieces together. A lot of stores have a tendency to give the models a more dramatic look than anyone should actually wear.
They do give people fresh ideas on how things can be worn together. I will not deny that. I have absolutely seen things on mannequins, and have searched through the store to find that shirt, or skirt, or whatever else it was.
I just think that sometimes dressing similar to the mannequin is taken to the extreme. Extreme as in dressing identically like the mannequin. There is a very exclusive group that can pull of dressing as eccentrically as these dolls in the store, and that is reserved for models and celebrities. You have to be a size negative zero, and have the height of an amazon to attempt these looks. It's the sad truth. So don't even feel bummed when that killer outfit looks completely different on you than how it looked on the mannequin
Forever 21 mannequin
 I would like to comment on the photo above briefly, because I think some of the outfits in it are very strange. Wouldn't that first outfit be way cuter without that ugly blue flannel? And the second outfit, who wears plaid tutu's besides Avril Lavigne? And the last visible outfit, the third one, do people really walk around with their shoes all the way unlaced? I don't know about you, but I definitely don't.

I would also like to warn you that everyone knows when you dress like a mannequin. It is glaringly obvious to even the most oblivious onlookers. I have confidence in everyone that they can put together a great looking outfit without even glancing at a mannequin. For the most part, only you know what looks good on you. And also what kind of style you like to dress in. Trust me, skip the mannequin look, and go for something on your own wavelength, whatever that may be.
On a slightly related note, many magazines, such as Seventeen, put together a series of outfits for you using one item. Or something like that. While they have a lot of ideas, putting together the same outfit will look just as ridiculous as dressing like a mannequin. If we all dressed like that, then we would all look like cookie-cutter people, and that's just weird. So, don't be a sponge! And when I say that I mean don't absorb everything you see. Pick out a few key things in the outfits that you like, and look for similar items and put them together in your own way! True authenticity.
And keep reading my blog! If you don't think you can put together an outfit better than Forever 21, then I am here to help! Or maybe you don't think I have style, and in that case I'm still here to entertain.
Making my self laugh out loud.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I found this blog by accident, but thank goodness! I finally found someone with both style and common sense! ;) keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very well-written post. I read and liked the post and have also bookmarked you.You can learn more: China tour packages | China travel packages | China Travel Agency

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the leading online Mandarin school that makes you fluent in a short time -- all from the comfort of your home or office!I am a Chinese teacher,you can learn more about Free Chinese language info: Learn mandarin online | Learn mandarin Chinese | Mandarin Teacher

    ReplyDelete