Tuesday, October 19, 2010

To Ugg or not to Ugg: Is it even a question?

In my opinion, Uggs might be the most debatable fashion item on the market. I own a pair, at one point I owned two pairs. I love the things. But I do have to admit they are ridiculously ugly.
I wouldn't even label them as a shoe as much as I would a glorified slipper. A slipper with a rubber bottom so you can wear them outside. Somewhat like moccasins, but warmer.
 
 
According my uncle, who has been known for telling quite a story, Uggs were originally worn by surfers when they went to the beach early in the morning. They kept their feet warm before and after they got out of the freezing waters and they also kept the sand out as they walked on the beach. This story seems viable, although don't quote me on it. It makes sense though, right? 
My story is further enhanced by this lovely picture of Pamela sporting Uggs on the beach.
Don't even think they match your swimsuit, because I promise that they don't.
 
picture courtesy of slog.thestranger.com

While the comfy ones aren't waterproof, they are perfect for running to the grocery store in the cold, or even wearing in the lodge of a ski resort. I would even go as far to say that these are great airport shoes, because they are so easy to remove and put back on when going through security. These are a symbol of ultimate comfort.
While many people ridicule these boots, once you wear them you realize that your feet are so warm you don't want to take them off.
You can wear Uggs only when wearing pajamas, sweats, or leggings. Uggs with jeans or any kind of shorts are just a hot mess. Never with a dress. I repeat, never.

 

Sometimes, Uggs have a tendency to make your calves look wider then they are. I would assume this is because you cant see your ankle, and since they are twice the width of your leg, you end up looking like you have fat calves. Another reason they should never be worn with jeans, shorts, or a dress.
 
This is actually an item I would suggest investing in. Just one pair though, you don't need to get Ugg crazy.
I will caution you that they are quite expensive for slippers, but as long as you aren't trudging through slush they last for quite awhile.
I also recommend that if you are going to get a pair, get the real thing. Imitation ones just don't cut it. If you're already going to wear something ugly, you might as well be ugly in a brand name. Bear Paw boots are also very warm and durable and cost quite a bit less.
Take caution, many boys have voiced that Uggs might possibly be the Ugg-liest (I crack my self up) shoes a girl could own. Wear them sparingly and only for comfort, not for style.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the story your uncle told you is true....and mainly men. There ARE counterfeit Ugg Australia footwear and accessories,but there is no such thing as fake uggs as it is a generic term for sheepskin boots in Australia. It was thought to describe the sound for a sigh of relief after putting sheepskin boots on. When the board maker in Australia had the plans for them, they originally didn't even have soles! Then a guy named Brian Smith bought the design, brought his unisex boots to Cali and the rest is history. Check out the story at www.uggaustralia.com

    ReplyDelete